Fighting Bribery and Corruption
Sanofi does not tolerate any form of bribery or abuse of power for personal gain, both among our employees and business partners, as well as among stakeholders involved in chasing the miracles of science to improve patients’ lives.
Such acts of bribery and corruption include providing (or receiving) anything of value to (or from) any person for the purpose of influencing any behavior or decision, particularly healthcare professionals, patient organizations, government officials, and state organizations. Corruption harms patients, erodes trust in healthcare, and can curtail investment in medicines. Corruption also fosters health inequities and deters economic development, human rights, and environmental sustainability. Our intolerance for any kind of corruption drives Sanofi to cultivate a robust culture of integrity. It also motivates us to fight corruption outside our organization wherever it may hinder our purpose.
How we Maximize Opportunities
- By preventing bribery and corruption, both within Sanofi and across all those that touch our sector, this enables the company to realize its purpose and ensure the sustainability of our industry by upholding innovation, driving high quality of products and services, and safeguarding public and private resources to improve health outcomes and meet society’s expectations.
- By demonstrating our trustworthiness to patients and our stakeholders through our commitment to preventing bribery and corruption internally and our determination to fight it externally.
- By empowering our people to proactively identify, assess, and mitigate potential bribery and corruption risks and prioritize our resources to manage them
- By engaging in joint or multi-party initiatives across the biopharmaceutical industry as well as in partnership with patients, healthcare professionals, civil society, and multi-lateral organizations to fight corruption and strengthen the resilience of health systems.
How we Minimize Risks
- We prohibit our employees or business partners from engaging in any act or perceived act of bribery and corruption. We require them to report any potential act of bribery and corruption while routinely training our employees to help identify and prevent such acts.
- We prohibit facilitating payments, even when legally permitted.
- We prohibit employees giving or receiving gifts from third parties.
- We safeguard processes for and eliminate barriers to an employee or business partner’s ability to raise and report bribery or corruption concerns confidentially with protections against retaliation.
- We support a robust ethics and compliance function that can execute its responsibilities independently and has direct access to executive leadership.
- We utilize our experienced experts around the world to ensure adherence to all anti-bribery and anti-corruption laws and regulations, as well as to apply our ethical principles where laws may fall short of upholding the highest standards of business integrity.
- We conduct risk-based anti-bribery due diligence on our business partners, including suppliers, customers, and third-party sales and marketing intermediaries, before engaging them and periodically during our partnering. Any potential issue raised through this monitoring is reviewed and assessed in order to evaluate the need for a risk mitigation plan, including termination if required.
Safeguarding Data Privacy and Protecting Information
Sanofi is committed to data privacy and information security at every level of our organization for the benefit of patients, our employees, and stakeholders and to ensure full compliance with regulatory obligations.
Competing Freely and Fairly
Sanofi strives to deliver better outcomes for patients, communities, and stakeholders by providing groundbreaking therapies at the right time and for the right reasons. We support a level playing field in which companies freely and fairly chase the miracles of science without undue advantage.
Utilizing Social-Media and Communicating Responsibly
At Sanofi, we ensure that our stakeholders can hear from and engage with us, including through social media and digital platforms. We recognize this requires us to communicate responsibly and are fully committed to doing so.
Maintaining Financial Integrity
We are committed to the integrity of Sanofi’s financial activities to realize our purpose, ensuring our role as a trusted partner in serving public health needs and expanding health innovation. Financial integrity is vital to protect the patients we serve as well as our employees, stakeholders, and the financial markets.